- Scientific Reports Journal
- March 2022
Digital Object Identifier (DOI)
International Standard Serial Number (ISSN)
- We theoretically analyze the rise of photovoltage oscillations in hexagonal boron-nitride (h-BN) encapsulated monolayer graphene (h-BN/graphene/h-BN) when irradiated with terahertz radiation. We use an extension of the radiation-driven electron orbit model, successfully applied to study the oscillations obtained in irradiated magnetotransport of GaAs/AlGaAs heterostructures. The extension takes mainly into account that now the carriers are massive Dirac fermions. Our simulations reveal that the photovoltage in these graphene systems presents important oscillations similar to the ones of irradiated magnetoresistance in semiconductor platforms but in the terahertz range. We also obtain that these oscillations are clearly affected by the voltages applied to the sandwiched graphene: a vertical gate voltage between the two hBN layers and an external positive voltage applied to one of the sample sides. The former steers the carrier effective mass and the latter the photovoltage intensity and the oscillations amplitude. The frequency dependence of the photo-oscillations is also investigated.
- Civil and Construction Engineering
- Materials science and engineering
- materials science; nanoscience and technology; physics