- European Research Project
- May 1, 2020 - October 31, 2022
One of the key enablers of Trajectory Based Operations (TBO) is the automated updating of trajectories in reaction to
developing uncertainties. However, a high frequency of updates and modifications leads to degraded system stability. The
overall goal of START (a Stable and resilienT ATM by integrAting Robust airline operations into the neTwork) is to develop,
implement, and validate optimisation algorithms for robust airline operations that result in stable and resilient ATM
performance even in disturbed scenarios.
START’s goal shall be reached by a suitable combination of methods from applied mathematics, i.e.: mathematical
optimisation, optimisation under uncertainty, Artificial Intelligence (AI) and data science, as well as algorithm design.
Furthermore, insight into the uncertainties relevant in TBO systems will be gained through simulations. The main focus of the
project is the optimization of conventional traffic situations while considering disruptive weather events such as
thunderstorms. Specific goals include:
1. To model uncertainties at the micro (trajectory) level, assimilate observations (via ADSB/Radar) every 15 min and
propagate trajectory uncertainties using assimilated models and a stochastic trajectory predictor.
2. To model uncertainties at the macro (ATM network) level, assimilate observations (satellite data for storm, and
network status) every 15 min., and propagate ATM network uncertainties using the assimilated models.
3. To develop an Artificial Intelligence (AI) algorithm capable of generating a set of pan-European (i.e., considering the
whole traffic over Europe) robust trajectories that make the European ATM system resilient when facing these relevant
4. To implement those algorithms as an advanced fight dispatching demo functionality for airspace users to obtain
5. To validate these concepts through system-wide simulation procedures in order to evaluate their stability.
- network technologies / internetworking; alo airline operations; trajectory based operations (tbo); uncertainty propagation; data assimilation